Privacy and Civil Liberties Impact Assessments (PCLIAs)
Section 208 of the E-Government Act of 2002 created the requirement to conduct Privacy and Civil Liberties Impact Assessments (PCLIAs) for systems that process Personally Identifiable Information (PII). A PCLIA is required for new systems, those systems undergoing modification or enhancement and Paperwork Reduction Act electronic collections of information. OMB Memorandum 03-22, dated September 26, 2003, contains guidance for conducting PCLIAs as well as procedures for processing and posting completed assessments.
WHAT IS A PCLIA?
A decision tool used by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) to identify and mitigate privacy risks that notifies the public:
- What PII BEP is collecting;
- Why the PII is being collected; and
- How the PII will be collected, used, accessed, shared, safeguarded and stored.
A PCLIA SHOULD ACCOMPLISH THREE GOALS:
- Ensure conformance with applicable legal, regulatory, and policy requirements for privacy;
- Determine the risks and effects; and
- Evaluate protections and alternative processes to mitigate potential privacy risks.
BEP CONDUCTS A PCLIA WHEN:
- Developing or procuring any new technologies or systems that handle or collect PII;
- Creating a new program, system, technology or information collection that may have privacy implications;
- Updating a system that results in new privacy risks; and
- Issuing a new or updated rulemaking that entails the collection of PII.
PCLIAs have been conducted on the following systems and are available in PDF format:
- AtHoc Mass Notification System
- BEP Background Information Request Form
- BEP Tour Scheduling System
- Box Content Management (BCM) / Enterprise Cloud Content Collaboration Platform (ECCCP)
- Chief Counsel System Matters Tracking System (CCS-MTS)
- COVID-19 Body Temperature Screening Program (BTSP)
- Customer Tracking and Fulfillment
- Department-Wide Use of Third-Party Social Media Websites for Public Engagement
- Digital Video Recording System (DVRS)
- Drug-Free Federal Workplace System
- Electronic Police Operations Command Reporting System (EPOC) and Office Incident Report
- Finger Print Scanning System (FPSS)
- HRConnect System
- Integrated Security System (ISS)
- Manufacturing Support Suite (MSS)
- Manufacturer Cash Handling Equipment (MCHE)
- Mutilated Currency Tracking System (MUTS)
- Personnel Security System (PerSec)
- Treasury eComplaints
- Use of Shredded U.S. Currency Program