BEP visitor policies are designed to keep visitors and staff safe and secure and to preserve the collections, facilities, and historic building and grounds. Visitors are subject to security screening prior to entering the Tour and Visitor Center. All visitors are screened by a magnetometer and all items that are permitted inside the building are screened by an X-ray device.
The following items are prohibited:
- Liquid, including water
- Food or beverages of any kind, including fruit and unopened packaged food
- Backpacks of any size
- Electronic equipment
- Aerosol containers
- Nonaerosol spray (prescriptions for medical needs are permitted)
- Any pointed object, e.g., knitting needles and letter openers (pens and pencils are permitted)
- Electric stun guns and martial arts weapons or devices
- Guns, replica guns, ammunition and fireworks
- Knives of any size
- Mace and pepper spray
- Razors and box cutters
Please note that the BEP police are authorized to make exceptions if a prohibited item is determined to be necessary and required to serve child care, medical or other special needs. If you have questions, please call the Tour Office at (817) 231-4000 or toll-free (866) 865-1194.
Visitors must follow the direction of the BEP police while on BEP property. Anyone found in violation of BEP policies as written or explained by the tour guides, will be escorted off the premises by a police officer.